Sunday, February 1, 2015

Discussion

I would like to start an open forum with a couple questions and any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Beyond seeking professional help:

  • What are some relaxation techniques you use to help lessen anxiety?
  • What are some activities that can be used as distraction techniques?

36 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    One relaxation technique I like to use is visualization and deep breathing. I try to visualize leaves falling from trees and into a river that gets washed away. It helps keep stress at bay!
    Sue Matson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that visualization brought me back to a few years ago. I tried to attach a picture but I don't think that is possible in this format. A few years ago while visiting my daughter and her husband in Seattle we drove to Sequim. While there we visited Railroad Bridge Park, an old wooden bridge. It was in late October and huge maple leaves of all colors were falling and gliding throughout the air. The most serene place I think I have ever been. So thankful for those memories.

      Delete
    2. Suzanne I think that utilizing visualization and deep breathing are wonderful suggestions for relaxation. Sometimes just imagining you are in that happy place can make the world of a difference.

      Lynnette, that sounds like such a beautiful visualization and I can see why you would want to pick that as a relaxation technique. Thank you both for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Sarah,
    I like to imagine myself sitting on a balcony looking out over the ocean, closing my eyes and hearing the waves crash against the sand. I breathe In the fresh air and feel my stress literally wash away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      I would much rather be sitting on the beach breathing the fresh air instead of visualizing. Great technique!

      Delete
    2. April that sounds beautiful and I would pay big money to be in a place just like that! I am a beach person myself so I would have to say sitting on a sandy beach would be able to assist with my stress levels.

      I agree with you Melissa completely!

      Delete
  3. Sarah,
    I use deep breathing on a daily basis! Taking long walks allows me to refocus after a stressful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      I also utilize walking as a way to refocus! Sometimes it is challenging to do with all of the pressures of school, work, and family, but truly I can be better at everything else if I give myself that time.
      Dawn

      Delete
    2. I can definitely relate to deep breathing techniques to relax! I employ this relaxation method on a daily basis.

      Delete
    3. Melissa, I can see how taking long walks after a stressful day can help. It forces you to remove yourself from pretty much everything else and can just focus on walking, breathing, and thinking.

      Delete
  4. Sarah,
    I find that walking is a great way for me to relax. I also have a favorite scripture that I read to remind me to relax and give the things I can't change to someone who can!
    Great discussion!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn,
      I also enjoy walking outdoors and feeling the wind on my skin washes away my stress. I too have a favorite scripture that I have to repeat to myself during times when I'm dealing with a lot of stress and it brings me back to reality that I am not alone!

      Delete
    2. Dawn I think that walking is a favorite among my bloggers and I also think that reading your favorite scripture is not only special but a great way to refocus your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. Sarah,
    I like reading novels, which allow me to escape my present stressors and I can imagine being somewhere else. I also love walking in the park where I can look at the lake and that helps me relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is always very relaxing to me, my grandparents grew up on the lake and it has always been one of my favorite places to visit.

      Delete
    2. Gayla I also love to read novels! That in my opinion is such a downfall of being in school because the free time I would use to read a fun book is instead used reading textbooks. One day soon I keep reminding myself I can read "fun" books again!

      Delete
  6. Sarah,
    I've found that working out three to four days a week has lowered my stress level and my anxiety level. I also like taking deep breaths to help relax me.
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercising helps me too. I like kicking boxing and I do that 3 days a week. It helps me lower my BP and stress level as well.

      Delete
    2. I find that exercise helps too but its hard to find the time. With work, school and family its a challenge. But it is a wonderful way to reduce stress and to keep physically fit!

      Delete
    3. Leticia that is wonderful that you are able to change from working 4 to 3 days and that it has made an impact on your stress and anxiety level!

      Gayla, I would have to agree that even though it is not my favorite, exercising also can help with anxiety I may be experiencing.

      Suzanne, I am 100% with you that with work, school and family it is VERY hard to find the time to exercise; even though after every work out I automatically feel so much better.

      Delete
  7. Sarah,

    My best relaxation technique is to fill a tub full of steaming hot water, grab my kindle, and soak as I read for an hour after work. I get out feeling like a completely different person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      I like your relaxation technique, it's nice when you can just get away from everyone and everything for a small bit of time and unwind. It's great.

      Delete
  8. When I am experiencing acute anxiety I try to focus on my breathing. I think a lot of my problems when I am feeling anxious are stemmed from me not breathing properly, which only exasperates my issues. I also think working out and getting enough sleep are very important to me feeling mentally healthy. Unfortunately, with my work schedule these last two can be kind of difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I would have to say that focusing on breathing can be very calming especially during moments of extreme acute anxiety. I also agree that sleep can be a great factor with regards to feeling mentally healthy. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  9. What a great topic to have for a blog. This is something that touches so many women and families. Often, they don't even recognize it in themselves. I have a dear friend who was going through this. The changes were subtle and even though she is a nurse, she never really considered this. I pointed out my concerns to her and she is doing great after addressing this with her physician. I never considered relaxation techniques for reducing stress and anxiety. Your blog is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan thank you for sharing about your good friend and her experiences with PPD. It must be so difficult especially when the changes might be very subtle as you described with your friend. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I have always found a good book and a comfortable place to relax as a stress relieving activity. I am currently expected my first child and enjoyed reading different peoples stress relieving techniques, hopefully I can use some after my baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on expecting your first child. It can be such an exciting time in one's life. I thought having children was great, but have found out that having grandchildren is even better. Best wisthes.

      Delete
  11. Taking slow deep breaths can help with anxiety. Watching my favorite show on television helps to distract me for my own problems, but have to be an upbeat program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelia, one of my weaknesses in life is definitely TV. I have several favorite TV shows; however they provide a sense of relaxation to me if I have had a bad day or am experiencing stress.

      Delete
  12. Depression can always be a difficult thing, but with a new baby it must be even harder. I've had 4 children myself and never experienced this, but I find that there are times when I just need a little time alone, having someone who can take the baby for an hour or so is great, where I can just sit and watch a favorite show or read a book as a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've found that some scents are very calming for anxiety. Sometimes when I become anxious I will smell some citrus oils. Also, taking time to take deep breaths or taking a walk helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using essential oils to help relax. Lavender is my favorite. We have an aromatherapy program at my facility in the oncology unit. It has been very successful.

      Delete
    2. Victoria and Leanne,
      I would have to say that I agree in that scents can be very therapeutic and assist in relaxing and providing calming effects!

      Delete
  14. I have never experience post-postpartum experience. I would think distractions and having someone to talk to in aiding in relieving stress. Taking time for self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriane I definitely believe that having someone you can not only trust but talk to about such a personal subject would be very therapeutic! Taking some alone time is also a necessity for everyone to participate in.

      Delete